''Cleared for takeoff Oxford 201''

The Archer TX cockpit
The course that OAA provide is know as 'ab intro' - this basically means they will take a person with no current flight experience and knowledge of aircraft (like a simpleton like me) to a professional qualified pilot- so where do you start? Well the very very basics; so that's what we have been taught over the last 10 days.

Last week we were introduced to our instructor and given our initial time tables, we work 5 day out of any days in the week with two off. We started in the simulator of a Piper Archer TX, which would be the initial aircraft we would be flying on. My instructor is Tim and we quickly got to grips with the checklist and did some practicing in the simulator before our first flight the next day. We have online schedules which give us an 'event time'- we have to be there 1 hour before that to pre-flight, so my first flights event time was 6.30 am, so I had to be there at 5.30 am which means I was up at 4.30 am... catch my drift? Its early, but I like early flights.OAA buses run constantly to make sure we have transport.

My first lesson came and went and I was enthralled with it- the mission was very enjoyable and the scenery is spectacular. I have now done 6 lessons and no less enthusiastic. I am enjoying the detailed pre-flighting of weather, NOTAMS, technical issues, mass and balance, performance etc to prepare for a flight. Today I had my longest flight at around 2.30 flight time. Flying manually is tiring and you certainly feel ready for some down time after. We are briefed very well about how to look after ourselves physically for the flights and put under no illusion what is expected of us. We run a risk assessment analysis before every flight. Today we had some weather issues with low pressure arriving over night, meaning we had to dodge some cloud- but apart from that its been hot and dry. Our traffic avoidance systems on board have been useful ensuring we don't get into a situation where we have to dramatically act- of course we keep a look out also. All our ATC call signs are 'Oxford' followed by a number, like BA have 'speedbird' and a number- its a little surreal to be in the middle of the desert and be referred to by a place a few thousand miles away.

Refueling team as we swap crews
Some wetter weather
When an aircraft comes in one crew hops out and around 30 mins later another crew gets in, whilst in-between this the fuel truck comes along, refuels and does any maintenance before the next crew arrives, its a slick operation but as I said in my last blog post, timing is everything. I am enjoying the professional atmosphere here at the airport.We have a big crew room with computers, printers and all the paper work we need for pre-flighting, a dispatch office were we collect the aircraft's keys, paperwork and were we check in for the flight, individual briefing rooms, a canteen and a TV room, customer services- everything we need basically.


On my night off when I can have a drink I have ventured into Tempe with some others from the course, Tempe is where Phoenix's university is and so there are many student bars, its a lot of fun. No more needs to be said on that...

Getting aircraft ready for next flight

So now I am back home and will be writing some more assignment for my degree, we have had our results back from our last assignment and I got a distinction which I wasn't unhappy with but hope to do well in the second one also. Iv also have some background reading to do for my next lesson- stalling and slow flight- plenty to be getting on with. The days are no way as demanding as ground school was but we still have sufficient work to do.

Anyway, I have settled into USA lifestyle quickly, we won't be home for Christmas and will miss that family time but my family are safe in the knowlegde I am doing something I am truely passionate about instead..... flying!

Morning flight
Thanks for reading.










Comments