Yes, no, maybe? Day 2


Day 2.

Day 2 consists of group excises, interview and a debrief.

I met up with John, Ant and Mike on the second morning, today felt abit better, the compass test was out the way and it was our time to talk!

We were introduced to the pilots who would be assessing our team work and interviewing us. They both eased us in there introduction, very nice people and personable. Both serving BA pilots, one, Fraser a 737-4 FO out of Gatwick (ex OAA student) and John (I think...) a 747-8 captain on the cargo out of STD (pre BA closing cargo operations).

The team exercise has also been well drafted on other sites, this was my experience- we had a couple of actives, build a tower to hold a cup of water a distance away from the main tower, communicating for 5 mins, then silent for 5 mins etc, I have a sneaky feeling the tower can't be built but im yet to prove that.... went okay, but got table wet...! 2nd exercise, you are given a synopsis where you are running an airport and have to overcome certain problems, we messed up here because we didn't fully read the instructions, there is a lot of info to take in quickly but make sure you get a good grasp, like the first activity you are timed under certain conditions and its you who decides when you start and stop- not the assessors. Luckily we didn't fail because we didn't fully read the instructions but brownie points must of been knocked off. Group exercises done.

Interview, I was the last to be interviewed, you are led into a small room with the BA pilots. Its a very general chat but you need to demonstrate you fully understand the course and general aviation. The guys will pick up on your experiences and you will have to give examples when you demonstrated certain factors. Tip, you can steer the conversation to what you want to talk about but make sure you have prepared and have something to say. I felt it had gone okay and was more like a chat. I said thank you and left.... back to the waiting room... to wait.

Debrief. I was last from one, Mike came after me. (I never knew if he past) What seemed like a wait were stones could erode around you I was called in, the debrief-er was a very nice chap and got straight down to it.... '1 mark out on my COMPASS of the required level'... my heart sank, for some reason my navigation score was low when I felt it had gone well, the rest of the marks were good. It was not a nice feeling after a lot of work and toll, however then he started showing me my other results from group exercise etc, which were pleasing, then I read the comments from the BA pilots. I left the room feeling actually very good, I was made out to be at OAA after all, I just needed to find one more mark in 2 months time on my resit. Then im in!

Ant and John were both also 1 mark out, they both came back to resit.. they now are at OAA.

Don't feel dishearten, don't give up.

Comments