Heathrow Tour


Last week I was given the opportunity to visit LHR including a tour of the tower and to go out with the operations team.... you maybe able to guess my answer.

Video click here

So I went down and met up with my cousin who has been overseeing the logistics of moving airlines into the new terminal 2. I started with a tour of the terminal, it is quite something, it looks stylish, modern and spacious, I was impressed. I was told how LHR is in the process of developing itself into a 'toast rack' shape, meaning, like T5 satellite terminals the aircraft dock at both sides of the building like a rack, soon all of LHR will take this shape, meaning the knocking down of buildings, whilst keeping minimal disruption to flights or passengers, quite a task.

A380 off to Dubai
We went airside meaning passing through security and like my Gatwick trip we passed through the crew security, its like the passenger version... just no passengers. We picked up a car and went for a spin. If you are a little (to put it mildly) bit of an aviation geek like me this was an absolute pleasure, my camera could not snap quick enough, in fact I took 2, one GoPro and one camera. Just to drive around observing the aircraft in various stages of turn around going to various corners of the world was brilliant.

Then it was time to go to the operations centre in the middle of the airfield. The building itself is quite dated but the team is due to move this week, there where a plethora of yellow vehicles ready to be dispatched to ward off birds, guide aircraft, inspect the runways etc. I went and spoke to the airfields manager for about 20 minutes in his office, he ran me through various scenarios that the Ops team deal with which was a fascinating insight. Then I went and sat on the desks with two chaps who are on the front line and direct their team to carry out various jobs. In an emergency this would be the focal part of the airport. A photo 'tells a thousand words' so see below.


As you can see the screens shows various bits of information, for example where aircraft are in the stack and on the ground, the prevailing weather conditions etc but interestingly a radar directed towards the runways which is specific to identify foreign objects, the radar is so accurate it can pick a pen placed on runway. Cooool.  From this room I could hear lots of radio 'chatter' on the operations frequency and soon it was my privilege to go out onto the airfield to observe the 3.30pm runway inspection- it was time I went on the runways!

I met up with two chaps, one of which was new and one of which was retiring the next week. So two of us in the vehicle were learning. Driving out initially was odd, its odd because when you sit in a 747 and look out of the window everything doesn't look that big, but at ground level, everything seems so much bigger, the width of the taxiways felt huge, like driving across the M25 and another lane, but I suppose they were not designed for us (a car). We were to be in a team of two, each team doing half the runway. We waited on the grass and actually very nearly got stuck only after a little bit of rocking we got out! Then we waited on the taxiway- first we were to inspect the runway currently on departures (9R/27L), so we listened out for to our call-sign 'Seagull' - ATC soon gave us permission to drive onto the active after the departing 787, this was already great, but it got better.




So all departing aircraft had to stop to allow us onto the runway and a small queue quickly formed, there are on average 1236/1400 (winter/summer schedule) movements per day so the quicker we could get done the better, by law there needs to be 4 visual runway inspections everyday as governed by CAA. We initially drove down and just looked for objects on the runway however in the background on ATC chatter I can hear not all has gone to plan in the departing holding line and now a 747 cannot visually see if the they can get passed an A320 waiting on the corner. We were soon dispatched after our runway inspection, we vacated the runway without incident and were soon parked next to a 747 waiting to departure who was unsure if they could continue.
The chap not driving soon hopped out with his 'ping pong' bats to give the 747 'wings'- the process of showing the pilot he/she has enough room from an obstacle. To be part of the process was brilliant, the problem was quickly solved and everyone was moving again. Team work is important in aviation!



We then headed over to 9R/27L and started the process again, this time (after being cleared) we drove in-between the purpose made gap of landing aircraft, as we pulled onto the runway, driving towards the aircraft on approach, I could see 4 sets of landing lights on approach, LHR is a constant and it was interesting to see how everything was carefully orchestrated keeping aircraft flowing whilst ensuring safety. After driving passed taxing 747 and A380's I heard a call on the radio that they needed me back because my time to go up the tower was approaching. I thanked the Ops chaps for a very interesting couple of hours for sharing their experiences and stories.


 By this time the sun was soon en-route to disappear, making for some nice photos. I met up with my cousin again and we parked underneath the tower itself, I looked up thinking of the iconic tower knowing I was just about to go up, it is truly something you may only do once in a life time, even if you don't find aviation interesting (what wrong with you!?) you would find this amazing, LHR is the 4th busiest in the world and I was heading for the nerve centre. So we met up with Adam (a LHR ATC who was controlling us when we were doing the runway inspections) and after receiving passes we were in the centre lift to arrive at the balcony just below the controllers before going up to meet them. I was asked if I had any concerns with heights, (would be a rubbish pilot if I did) as some people have problems, we soon walked out in the circle balcony overlooking the entire airfield. From our position we could see into London, Windsor castle etc, the views seemed to be endless. Incredible. My photos do not do it justice.








I had around 20 mins talking to Adam, he told me about the way the controllers run LHR, my Air Law knowledge came in handy chipping in the odd comment! Watching the taxiing aircraft was enjoyable, I have heard people say this before on telly, but you really do feel like your looking down on a toy set, everything looks far smaller and flowed so effortlessly. It was surreal.


Then it was time to go up to the main deck and stand behind some controllers, listening to their instructions and seeing their view. To work at LHR tower I am sure these guys are the best of the best- I was made to feel extremely welcome, the atmosphere was calm, if not laid back! They wore casual clothing and have a good sense of humor, they said it was good to have a 'normal' person up there because there are usually they are used to having dignities, MP's etc up there and being told off after for looking too casual! I observed as soon as the departing aircraft had left the ground the next aircraft was cleared to take off, however this isn't done randomly, hours in advanced all the aircraft sequenced- according to size, route, destination etc, this ensure that ATC can use the airspace to the maximum. I couldn't take any photos but what I observed will stay with me for a long period, time 'flew' by (drumroll) and it was soon dark, we had been talking to the controllers for what must of been the fastest ever hour and it was time to leave. What an incredible experience!


Again, my day was not over, next to see a 747 come in from ground level, we drove to terminal 2 and parked up waiting for the Air Asiana, it soon pulled onto stand and I was stood under the 'safe dock' system so the plane taxied straight towards me, I had ear plugs in but the noise was still very noticeable! This was a special aircraft because it was 747 combi so after engine shut down the ground crew quickly surrounded the aircraft and unusually placing a stand under the tail of the aircraft before unloading to stop an embarrassing 'nose up' situation like this which I found on the internet...

After this we had a night time drive around LHR seeing the aircraft getting ready for the night flights to all over the world, I think the footage describes it best. I have missed out a ton of detail and interesting bits but hopefully the video will do it justice so click here

It was a very enjoyable day and I understand more now about the airport operation side. Thank you to my cousin and Heathrow for a brilliant day.

I have just had my E tickets through from OAA, London to Phoenix next week, cannot wait...


Thanks for reading as ever!




Comments