Christmas in Phoenix and PT1 passed!




So I will take you back- its Monday morning, 3.30am and I am getting ready for my first progress check, I feel iv have only been here for 2 mins and but an exam is already due, this is 1 of 6 whilst I'm in Phoenix and I was determined to get off to a flying start (thanks Granny for that one, keep them coming!). I arrived at the school at 4.45 and begin preflight, then out to the aircraft at 5.15am, its -1, its cold, its dark, but the aircraft looks good, slight flat tire so I put request into maintenance- I want everything to be right. Next meet with the examiner also known as a Senior Flight Instructor (SFI's) for an oral test about the aircraft's paper work, systems and manuals, much revision was done in this area and I felt it had gone okay.
We went out to the aircraft for more questions, again went okay, talked about the wing design, type of flaps, adverse yaw etc, all fun stuff. Then the flight came, it was a little challenging with the engine not starting, eventually she kicked into life, good, BUT comms not working properly, bad, standby flight instrument not working properly, bad.... anyway as David Brent says you have to 'roll with the punches'- we decided the flight was safe to continue and I tried not to let it disrupt my mind set.

The exam structure is to fly a number of 'touch and go's' (landing and then taking off again without stopping ) whilst performing all the radio call, procedures, checklists, TEM princples, emergency simulated situations etc as well as being safe. In the end I did one go around because I didn't feel it was a stable approach, then one landing with no flaps, one landing with no engine and the rest of the landings were standard. I felt it had gone ok and was relieved when it was over and to be told I had passed, I was the first person on my course to sit the exam so wasn't to sure what to expect however the more advanced student pilots pointed me in the right direction- we have a good sense of community. So I now have 5 days off then I am allowed to fly aircraft on my own- perish the thought..!
Circuit training on Flightradar24... could be better
Between all this flying lark, Christmas got in the way, I spent Christmas eve with my instructor and his family which I was very grateful to be welcomed, we went for a steak and a couple of sharpners, all very nice and festive. Then I had 6 of us student pilots over at ours and cooked a couple of turkeys with the usual Christmas extras, a fun day was had by all. We did the usual activeties such as playing a Christmas board game and it almost felt like home... if we wern't drinking out of red 'movie' cups. Also have you seen my Christmas tree? What a towering giant it was...
What a beast



















So I reflect on what has been a good year- starting OAA and passing GS and now onto flying in America with one exam passed, the work load will increase again in the NY which I am looking forward to and another exam is around the corner, but for now: a very Happy New Year to you and thanks for reading.
Preparing my flightbag ahead of PT1


Comments