Living the Purple life...

First, I apologies for any lack of updates. I have started type rating and, as you can imagine, lots to keep you occupied.

Anyway, back to the Flybe assessment. The assessment consists of an interview and a simulator assessment. My first impression of Flybe after walking through the doors at 8.30 in the morning, suited and booted with a fair amount of nerves, was how friendly, courteous and relaxed everyone was (and how purple everything is, even the plants!). After meeting some other candidates I had my interview with a HR manager and a current Flybe pilot. The majority of the interview was taken up with HR questions but some technical at the end. They create a nice atmosphere to be interviewed and it took around 30 minutes, then you wait down stairs to see if you have been selected for the next stage, the simulator assessment.

I fortunately was told to report back later that day. After a brief from the assessor, 8 pilots took it in turns as a pair to carry out the tasks given (general handling, ILS etc) in the Dash 8 simulator. I thought it went well and I didn't have to repeat any of the tasks.

Great to get this
My interview process started at 8.30am on Thursday and finished on the Friday morning with the assessor saying, “We will see you back for type rating” – he doesn't say this to everyone and you have to officially be told by HR so don't worry if he doesn't! I returned to my hotel room knowing I’d given it my all. I wouldn't be happy until I had the official acceptance which came from the graduation manager at Oxford – 'Re, You had better some champagne on your way home' followed up by a phone call- happy days.

I was quickly contacted by various departments at Flybe requesting various information for passes, etc. and given my base, Belfast City. I was delighted because it’s a great little airport and my Oxford buddy Joe had also got a job here with Flybe. One thing I will add is how pleasant and easy Flybe made the process of joining. Skipping ahead slightly to customer services brief in the type rating, at Flybe we have our customers, this isn't just our payload customers but also our different departments and how we treat and deal with one another. So far my experience has been nothing but brilliant, everyone communicates well and is organised. Anyway, back to joining.

I had to find a house which meant flying to Belfast, and after a 2 day search and walking over 30 miles (to tight to pay for taxi's....) I found a great little converted water tower that was well in budget. Belfast is a very attractive city and property prices are far less then elsewhere. I put an offer in 2 minutes before boarding a plane back to London to a house which came on that morning and it was accepted by the time I had taken my seat on the aircraft- great, house sorted. Time for a holiday! Again, Flybe were great here. I had things to do paperwork-wise which I could do from holiday but also had to sign things with deadlines due when I would be away. I told Flybe I would be away and again they where very accommodating. They basically told me to go enjoy and do it when you get back. I had a 2 week holiday with my girlfriend and then a week at home before moving to Belfast and starting my employment with Flybe last month. Unlike most airlines, Flybe pays you during training, all your hotel bills, uniform, transport and a bonded type rating.


Looking around during type rating
Putting GS into visuals
In my next blog, I will tell you about type rating after I have finished it but at this point I have passed all the ground school exams and had a day in the cockpit as an observation pilot. Next I fly back down to Exeter for 3 weeks in the sim before finishing before Christmas and carrying my first passengers just after, that is, if everything goes to plan.







The set up for the evening
 

 On a side note, I went to CAE OAA's graduation ball at Oxford airport a couple of weeks ago taking my Father and Grandmother as guests. I was also asked to give the 'vote of thanks' on behalf of all the students from all of CAE's European flight training academies. After writing, re-writing and practising my speech for 3 weeks I delivered it to 600 people that evening. It went well and even my 'jokes' got a laugh. Overall, I got some very positive feedback on it and I think my sincere message got across. So, it was then time to relax! Like always, many airline representatives attend and Flybe was no exception with a senior Flybe figure being there. The night was fantastic, and it was great seeing all the airlines, graduates, and families mix and have a really good time. There is a huge sense of community in aviation and your logo doesn't divide you from others in the industry I have discovered. Oxford organised a brilliant event, with a huge marque with stars in the ceiling, good catering, plenty to keep you refreshed, live band, and professional photographers and camera men to record all the occasion with big screens erected so everyone could see what was going on during speeches and the ceremony itself. It was great to have an AP360 reunion, reminiscing on the days we all joined and how much has happened since then in such a short amount of time. I left a little earlier than everyone as I had an early train back to Exeter to continue my type rating, but I am told the party went on long into the night.... say no more.

Giving the speech
Anyway, I am off to learn some more on the Dash-8 procedures.

Thanks for reading. 




Observation day - great day
 

Comments

  1. What is the STAR method you talked about mate, that helps you and guides you through answering questions in your interview? Best wishes, Elliott!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elliott, its a generic technique to make sure you present your answer clearly to the interviewers. Here is a good explanation. http://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview

      Kind regards

      Delete

Post a Comment